Baroque - Bardi to Bach
The Baroque (1600- 1750) is a period of immense musical change. The era begins with a group of men in Florence, led by Count Bardi, totally influencing the direction of music and finishes with the wonders of the late Baroque with composers like Bach, Handel and Vivaldi changing music forever.
1. Renaissance vs Baroque
Composers in the early Baroque had a very different approach to music than those in the late Renaissance. What were these major differences, how did these changes come about and what was their impact on the rest of the era?
2. Early Baroque 1600- 1650
In the Baroque music was reinventing itself, shifting the emphasis from elaborate music using words to paint pictures, to new forms of music called monody, homophony and even the recitative and basso continuo.
3. The Sociology of Baroque Music
What was the world like for the musician at the beginning of the Baroque? How were they educated? How were they employed? What were their roles? Who were the Castrati and how did they come about?
4. The middle years of the Baroque
In the middle of the 17th century the focus of innovation moved from Italy to France where Jean-Baptiste Lully developed a new strain of opera amid the grandiloquence of the French court. Lully not only did this but started a new ensemble which would later develop into an orchestra.
5. Instrumental music of the late Baroque
The last 50 years of the Baroque is where some of the most beautiful, sublime music of the period is written: Handel’s Messiah, Bach’s Passions and Vivaldi’s Four Seasons to name a few. This class looks at the instrumental music of the late Baroque.
6. Vocal music of the late Baroque
some of the greatest vocal music is from the late Baroque period – music which at the time was only written for one event but which has thrilled us for centuries
- Classes must be taken as a series of 6.
- Each class runs for 1 and a half hours starting with coffee and cake. Please see website or call Andy for course times and dates.
- All classes are held once a month and last for 1 and a half hours.
- Minimum of 5 per class.
- Locations are the Eastern suburbs or North Shore. They are easily accessable by public transport.
- Address will be supplied upon enrollment.
- Classes may be conducted elsewhere and can be customised to fit your specific group.